What are the factory specifications for my PRS SE bass guitar setup?
- First, once the strings are thoroughly stretched, tune the instrument to pitch. Repeat stretching and tuning the instrument.
- Then, adjust the truss rod relief, and re-tune the instrument.
Using a capo at the first fret, measure the distance from top of fret to bottom of string while depressing the string at the 1st and last fret: Relief for PRS SE bass guitars should measure .4/64" - .8/64" (.1mm - .3mm) at the 8th fret.
Once the relief has been set, re-tune the instrument. The measurements for string height should be as follows (measure from the top center of the fret, to the bottom of the string):
Four String Bass
- Treble side string height 1st fret: 1.2/64” - 1.9/64" (.5mm - .8mm)
- Bass side string height 1st fret: 2/64” - 2.9/64" (.8mm - 1.2mm)
- Treble-side string height at 12th fret: 2/32" - 2.7/32" (1.5mm - 2mm)
- Bass-side string height at 12th fret: 2.5/32” - 3/32" (2mm - 2.5mm)
- String height should escalate in value from Hi G to low E
We consider these measurements to be a "factory specification" action height. You can adjust to taste.